Food Scarcity in Central Pennsylvania
Serving the community has always been part of the fabric of the Downey Agency. These past weeks have been unprecedented and leaving many in need of assistance and many asking, “How best can we help?” Regardless of where you are on that spectrum, our community is banding together to serve each other the best we can. With unemployment so high, food scarcity has become a larger issue (the need has doubled!) in our community as a whole — and especially for vulnerable seniors and children. We want to help you navigate this time as best we can. Please review the links below to make a difference or to receive assistance as needed from these reputable community organizations:
I want to help:
New Hope Ministries
- Volunteer at their Dillsburg, Dover, Hanover, Littlestown, Mechanicsburg, New Oxford, and West Shore locations. You can see their list of volunteer options here.
- Donate food at their Adams, Cumberland, and York county locations. You can find the list of accepted products here. They accept fresh and frozen foods along with non perishables and household and hygiene products.
- Donate other multiple types of resources here.
Project Share of Carlisle
- Make a monetary donation here. With monetary donations, they are able to buy products at wholesale prices so they are able to get more food per dollar than you can at a grocery store.
- Donate food at its warehouse location at 5 N. Orange Street in Carlisle, open Monday-Thursday from 8am-4pm and Friday from 8am-12pm. If you have a question about whether or not Share accepts a certain item, you can contact them at (717) 249-7773 or check here for a list of their prioritized items.
- Volunteer to assist with packing and distribution. You can sign up for a volunteer opportunity here.
Central Pennsylvania Food Bank
- Make a monetary donation: Click here. The need for food assistance has greatly increased while previous donors like his grocery stores cannot donate as much since they are struggling to stay stocked and restaurants are not cooking as much.
- Consider hosting a virtual food drive. This allows you to carefully purchase food for the food bank from the comfort of your home while allowing the least contact to the food products. Directions can be found here.
- Consider volunteering. Contact them to find out their biggest needs and the locations that need assistance here. Their volunteer inquiry form can be filled out here. Please note that they have enacted strict guidelines for volunteers for the safety of all.
- Get involved with volunteering locally by filling out their form here. They are looking for sorters & packers, volunteers at no-contact sites, meal deliverers, and people to spread awareness & host fundraisers.
- Help fight hunger on a national level by donating money here.
Downey Agency Blessing Box
- Non-perishables and household supplies may be placed in our 24/7 blessing box located right outside our office at 11 N US Hwy 15, Dillsburg, PA. This box is here year round.
- Contact any local non-profit you are involved in and find out what they are currently doing to help the community and assist them further!
I need assistance:
- New Hope Ministries assists with food, rent/mortgage assistance, utilities assistance, transportation needs, and referrals to specialized programs. Please stop by the closest center to you in Dillsburg, Dover, Hanover, Littlestown, Mechanicsburg, New Oxford, and or West Shore. Their addresses, hours, and contact information can be found here.
- Project Share of Carlisle hosts food distributions. New clients should call 717-249-7773 to schedule a time to talk to a staff member about your situation. More information can be found here.
- If you are in need of food or other assistance, click here. This will take you to Central Pennsylvania’s Food Bank search tool to help you find the closest location to you to receive food and other services. You can also call Central PA’s Food Bank hotline at 1-877-999-5964.
- If you would like assistance applying for Pennsylvania’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), you can be walked through the process with a knowledgeable expert. Click here or call Central PA’s Food Bank hotline at 1-877-999-5964.
- Find a food bank location on a national level using Feeding America’s search tool here.
- There is a 24/7 blessing box located right outside our office at 11 N US Hwy 15, Dillsburg, PA. This box is here year round and available to anyone who needs it.
- Contact any local non-profits that you are involved in to see what services they are currently offering.